Monday, January 5

Week in a Day

O Thou, by whom we come to God,
The Life, the Truth, the Way;
The path of prayer Thyself hast trod:
Lord, teach us how to pray.

The tile of these pages ... "Praying Clear Through" ... comes from a book by Rev. W. J. Harney. I don't remember where I bought it. Though it was most likely at a garage sale. Published in 1915 by God's Revivalist Press it is a book about what it says. Praying Clear Through to God.

For these pages I'll add my own thoughts and quotes from the book every now and then. But, primarily I want to just cover the bible. Not just by reading, but by listening. I don't believe that the Word of God was meant for us to read silently. It was meant to be upon our lips and in our ears. When Ezra read Genesis though Deuteronomy it only took him from sunrise to noon ( Nehemiah 8:1-6 ). Today if you would listen to one of the many free online resources it would take about 13 hours of your time. And the entire bible would take just over 70 hours.

So I'll post audio links provided by esv.org that will take up about 20 minutes of your morning, 20 over lunch, and 20 minutes of your evening. Why 20 minutes? Because that would cover the entire bible in about 11 weeks, less than the typical quarter of a Sunday School schedule.

I'll end by stealing Harney's dedication ...

To My Precious Wife,
Whose Devotion To Principle,
Loyalty to Light, and Courage,
and Faith in Duty,
Have Been My Constant Inspiration;
Whose Kind Gentle Womanhood
and
Thoughtful Motherhood
Have Blessed and Hallowed
Our Sunny Home.

No comments: