Saturday, January 17

Day 13

As You Rise ... Numbers 1-4
Chapter 1 in mp3
Chapter 2 in mp3
Chapter 3 in mp3
Chapter 4 in mp3

Each time I've been wanting to write what struck me as I was listening to these passages. My fear for Numbers was: "Wow, that is a lot of names."

But, for this section what struck me wasn't the numbers and names. It was the tasks. In our lives God has given each of us abilities and tasks to apply those skills towards. As in the order He provided to Israel for just moving as a body of people from day to day. The only way we, as a church family, can go about our day to day tasks is by not doing everything. Rather, by doing what He has placed in front of us.

We can't expect our leaders to do it all. We are here to be the hands, feet, or even the belly button for the body of Christ.

As You Walk By The Way ... Numbers 5-8
Chapter 5 in mp3
Chapter 6 in mp3
Chapter 7 in mp3
Chapter 8 in mp3

I like the retirement plan for the Levites: They minister to their brothers in the tent of meeting by keeping guard, but they shall do no service.

I suppose as we age we are still called to keep guard over the church. Who better to watch over the family than those that have gone through the same difficulties in life? Who better to turn to then those who have gained wisdom by looking back on their struggles or suffering?

Right now at 36 I can see and remember what those who are under 24 are going through. The temptation of sexual sin, anger, desires of social status, depression in being alone, or any other of the many rocks in their path. And those further down life's path can look at where I am now and give me guidance in getting through my current difficulties.

I suppose our retirement plan is the same today. Being on guard.

When You Lie Down ... Mark 3-4
Chapter 3 in mp3
Chapter 4 in mp3

Lately I like to refer to my church family as my family by blood. The Blood of Christ.

I love my wife and kids, my parents, my brother and his family, my sister and her family, my cousins, all my in-laws, and on down the line. But, which blood is really more powerful? That which runs in my veins? Or that which was poured out on the cross?

And what a greater blessing it is when your family is bound to you by the blood in your veins and by the Blood of Christ. To know we will be going there to see our Savior and to see our family. And to know that our brothers and sisters in the Blood of Christ we be standing by their sides to greet us.

No comments: