Wednesday, February 4

Day 31

As You Rise ... 2 Samuel 19-21
Chapter 19 in mp3
Chapter 20 in mp3
Chapter 21 in mp3

Did you ever lament for something that was unworthy of it?

Thinking about David's actions led me to think about my own. There have been times where I lamented losing things that were harmful to me and others. It was better to have it out of my life, yet I continued to look back over my shoulder at it. We can get so caught up in our desires we tend to focus only upon them. And looking back upon sin is no way to lead a family forward.

I suppose it will come down to what we set our eyes upon. Will we keep looking forward upon the LORD or will we keep our eyes backwards and down upon that which will perish.

As You Walk By The Way ...2 Samuel 22-24
Chapter 22 in mp3
Chapter 23 in mp3
Chapter 24 in mp3

But worthless men are all like thorns ...

I was working on cleaning up a hedge tree a while ago. If you haven't worked with one you just need to imagine incredibly hard wood with 2 inch thorns. As I was dragging a branch to the burn pile it flipped on me and jabbed a thorn just under my knee cap. It hurt really really bad. Really bad.

Anyways, we are called to minister to worthless men. We are not called to participate with worthless men. They are like thorns. You don't go playing around with a thorn tree because it will just end up stabbing you in the hand or knee. Don't expect to go the parties, talk bad about others, curse at the ball games, and not have it come back and jab a thorn under your kneecap.

There is only one end for our lives if we live in a worthless way ...

... they are utterly consumed with fire.

When You Lie Down ... Luke 18-19
Chapter 18 in mp3
Chapter 19 in mp3

I drive one of my co-workers crazy with the saying ... "The squeaky wheel gets the grease".

The sad truth of the matter is that people who complain A LOT tend to get stuff just to make them shut up. What makes my co-worker mad is that it really isn't fair.

Many times the person who complains doesn't deserve what they get. They are just used to getting what they want by whining. And the people who have real needs, or who need justice, are usually silent in their suffering.

It is up to us to be a good judge. To be men and women who do what is right no matter how the winds blow. To be honest with those who should be told ... "That is enough. Be patient with what you have". And to give what is needed, when it is needed, and to give justice to those who are silent. We can only do this by actively looking for them in our lives.

This is one area of my life that I need to improve.

No comments: